Wednesday 28 December 2011

A close friend


The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend.                                                                                                                 Exod. 33.11a


These words create a most wonderful picture for me. God is meeting with Moses. He speaks with him and the relationship is like that of a man with his friend. The friendship between men can be powerful, sweet and loving. The friendship between God and man might be all of this, but intensified so much more. No wonder Moses’ face was radiant after he had met with God. He radiated the love and the power of God, freely manifest in him through the relationship he enjoyed with the Lord God.

This was not a “once-only” event:

The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”   (v14)

What a wonderful assurance these words would have given Moses. He knew the presence of the Lord. More than this, he knew the intimacy of friendship with the Almighty. And now he is being assured of the continuance of this relationship. God is with him, and will go with him. He will receive rest from God. He will rest in God. I dare to believe that this gracious and most wonderful rest would have been available for him at any time that he was willing to turn fully to his Lord. And what of this rest! It is the exquisite place of complete trust and confidence in our supreme maker. It releases us from all stress and pressure. It relaxes us in His full protection whilst we are being fed with His great and wonderful enabling.

So, what about me? How I long to know and experience God as Moses did; to walk and talk with Him and to know that I am regarded by Almighty God as a man regards a close friend. Yes, this, and even more. I believe I have received a personal assurance that God will be with me. Maybe this entails a sweet and lasting relationship.


Lord God,

I thank You for the relationship that Moses enjoyed with You, and that I can share of this as I read Your Holy Scriptures.

I am mindful of my own walk with You. I receive, with deep gratitude, Your assurance that You will be with me. But I ask for more. I seek a sweet, deep and lasting relationship. I yearn to know You as Moses did, to walk and talk with You in the intimacy of a close friendship. You encourage me through Your Word to ask. And so I ask. I ask that I might know You more, that I may meet with You often and regularly and share the joys of friendship with You. Further, may I be equipped by You to lead others into friendship with You.

I give myself over to Your full and perfect will. Receive me, Lord, as a friend. Use me as a faithful worker, in Jesus’ name I ask.                                                      Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment