Tuesday 6 December 2011

Acceptance


“Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate.                                                   Luke 15.22,23


The prodigal son has returned and the father calls for celebration. Each of the symbols in the above verses is a sign of position and acceptance. The long robe signifies distinction, the signet ring is of authority and sandals signify sonship, for slaves went barefoot. The fattened calf was kept for a special occasion.

History has labelled the younger son as a prodigal but it’s surely the father’s amazing behaviour that earns the description of prodigal – foolishly and recklessly extravagant.

And so it is in heaven. Our Father rejoices in reckless abandon and foolish extravagance when just one lost sinner returns to Him. The returning son or daughter is feted in grand style. Position and acceptance are assured, and the entry into the greatest royal family of all is accompanied by exquisite peace and unimaginable joy.

This is how it is for me. This is how it will be for all who come into the Kingdom. Misery, poverty, hunger and sickness, want of any kind will be over, to be replaced with joy, riches, plenty, health and goodness in abundance.

The kingdom of heaven is now and, whilst I may not presently enjoy the full benefits of the eternal kingdom, I can certainly know that they are there for me and that very knowledge has a positive and enriching effect on the here and now.

Yes, I am a child of God, meant for the fullness of kingdom life. I live that life now in part of its fullness, but one day I shall enter into abundance. Whilst I look forward, I do not miss out on the present moment. I rejoice that all my days are spent in His kingdom.




Father God,

You brought me back to You and I am truly grateful. The story of the prodigal son gives me some insight to Your reaction when a lost soul returns, but I’m not sure that I get the full impact of this. That You rejoice in a foolishly extravagant way is perhaps beyond my comprehension. That I am fitted with insignia of position and acceptance is overwhelming. Yet this is so, for Your Word tells me. And this is the way for all those who come to You.

Lord God, Heavenly Father, I rejoice and extol Your great and wonderful being. I pray for those who are yet to come to You. I pray for those I know – my family members, friends, neighbours and acquaintances. Lord, Your Word says that none come to You unless the Father calls them. I ask You to call them, Heavenly Dad. I offer myself to be used in any way You would choose to use me, but I ask You to call the lost that I know of, and make them Yours. And after them, others – more and more. Lord, bring all to You, in Jesus, Name I ask.
                                                                                                                                    Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment