Monday 9 December 2019

Thanksgiving and Prayer



For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.          Eph. 1. 15 - 17


Paul does not say what “this reason” is but, if we refer to previous verses, it could mean the seal of the Spirit which marks believers and guarantees their inheritance as God’s possession to the praise of his glory. (Eph. 1.14b) 

Paul has heard of the faith of the Ephesians in Jesus. He gives thanks for them and remembers them in his prayers. He further requests the gift of the Spirit for them, especially the gifts of wisdom and revelation. His main reason for requesting these gifts is so that the believers may come to know God better. By “God” I am believing that Paul is embracing the three-fold deity: Father, Son and Spirit.

The three persons of the Trinity act as one. They may engage in different acts at different times, gut there is always consistency in all that they do. There will never be differences or disputes between the members of the Triune God.

This is part of the wisdom and revelation that I believe Paul is requesting in his payer. We are not told whether the people of faith whom Paul is praying for are new or mature Christians. I don’t believe this matters, for believers need the wisdom and revelation that God gives by His Spirit. In addition, we need all of the gifts of the Spirit that God chooses to bless us with.

Paul sees the consequence of this giving of the Spirit as being a “better knowing” of our wonderful, great and loving God. I deliberately use the word “knowing” and not “knowledge of” because knowing about God, or mere knowledge of Him is not enough. We need to know Him in the reality of relationship, a sweet, honest, strong and true relationship of love.


Gracious Father,
I am reminded that my relationship with You is real, personal, and loving. I receive, and thank You for, every gift You bless me with. May I use them and live them to Your praise and glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment