Tuesday 11 October 2011

The narrow road


Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.                                                                     Matt. 7.13,14


There are choices. This is obvious in these words of Jesus to me. Yes, He was speaking to a crowd of people two thousand years ago but He is also speaking today, to as many as will heed Him. I want to listen and I truly hope I can obey.

What are the choices? Jesus describes then as gates leading into roads. The wide gate leads into a broad road, but this ends in destruction. This is the way of self-life. In this way I live to please myself. I do what I want, when I want to. I can easily fall into lawlessness. I will certainly end in destruction.

There is another option. Jesus describes this as a small gate that leads to a narrow road, but a road that brings life. I believe this way is the way of surrender to Jesus. It’s not doing what I want, but rather waiting upon Him, seeking Him in all things, looking for His ways, and walking in them.

Jesus says only a few find this way. I’m not concerned here with just how many this ‘few’ might be. Nor, indeed, with whom they might be. I am concerned, however, to be one of them. I want to find this way – His way, and to walk in it.



Lord Jesus,

I hear Your words and I heed them. I desire the small gate and the narrow way. I want to walk in Your way. I ask You to lead and direct me. I am not stationary. I will move in the way in which I think You want me to go. But I earnestly ask that You guide me.

Dear Lord, how I long to feel Your guiding presence. I desire a relationship in which I might almost tangibly feel You with me. I know You are with me, I just want more. Forgive me my selfishness. I so want to know You that my living – the whole of my living – will reflect the reality of You. Indeed, I don’t think this is selfish. Certainly, I expect to experience joy and peace, and great hope. But I sense also that much will be passed on to others who will be encouraged and strengthened and who, hopefully, will seek that small gate and narrow road.

Lord, I don’t want to live with You in isolation from others. I want to live with You, fully in You, whilst showing others true life in You.

I offer myself. I realise the work of sanctification is a work of grace manifested through the presence and power of Your Holy Spirit. I pray that You would bless me with this gift. Again, I express my love for You. I feel You near me and I am glad. I rejoice to know these wonderful moments. I ask for more, and I seek more opportunities to share this joy.

Help me, Lord, in Your powerful name I ask.                                     Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment