Tuesday 19 July 2011

Roman Holiday

Assisi, Monday 18th July 2011

I've now made the overnight coach journey between Florence and Montpellier on two separate occasions. I am not anxious to increase this number! However, it did not last forever and I was soon arriving at Rome on the train from Florence.

My brother Dafydd was waiting on the concourse in Rome. It was good to see him and look forward to his company, first in Rome and then for a couple of days in Florence.

I have long since ceased to be an avid, "must see everything" sight-seer. But there were places in Rome that I did not want to miss. These were: the Vatican Museum, St. Peter's Basilica, and the Colosseum and, because of easy accessibility, this is the order we took them in.

We queued for the Vatican, initially in full, hot sun, but it was not over long, and well worth it. The museum is filled with treasures. Indeed, the very building and its rooms are a treasure. The piece de resistance is surely the Sistine Chapel which, of course, is simply glorious. I was also very impressed with the suite of rooms attributed to Raphaello. But mere word, my words, cannot do due justice to the wonders of this place.

Not too far from the Vatican Museum is the treasure of St. Peter's Basilica. We approached it from the side, which meant that I entered the mighty forecourt without warning or preparation. As we walked suddenly into this amazing place it took my breath away. I gasped! The spaciousness and scale of the approach to this magnificent building captures, at one and the same time, both simplicity and grandeur.

The queue here was much shorter than at the Vatican and so we entered this mighty edifice. I can't describe the interior other than to say it was grand, lofty, and full of people. I do remember the amazing window in the distance where the rays of light coming through the glass gave brilliant white and golden hues.

But there were a lot of people about, and nowhere to sit! Both these points irked me mildly, for I had wanted to sit quietly in this gloroius edifice and join silently with my Lord and Saviour in the intimate communion we know as prayer.

I wasn't going to be put off. Towards the front of the church the crowd was restrained by a temporary barrier. This prevented people going further forward. I decided that the front of the crowd, up against the barrier, was the place for me to be. Once there, I faced the open space before the altar. I got in place. Of course there were people each side of me and a whole crowd behind me but in front of me was openness, giving me a free view of this truly amazing building, humanity's act of homage to our great God.

I closed my eyes - in splendid solitude despite the pressing crowd. I was here for Him, and Him alone. And then it happened! I experienced one of those amazing "suddenlies" that only God can create. Suddenly, Jesus was beside me. My eyes were closed but my spirit was most certainly open. And my spirit experienced Him. His presence, strength, power and love overwhelmed me. I could feel the tears of joy form behind my closed eyelids. I wanted to shout forth while I also wanted to keep quiet and still, to savour the moment for as long as it would last.

People talk to me of religion. I'm not really sure I understand what they mean. My faith leads me into relationship - a very real, deep and intimate relationship with Him. This is what I experienced in St. Peter's. It was not the first time. I hope and pray it certainly won't be the last.

When I caught up with Dafydd, my eyes were moist. I garbled something about a holy experience,an  encounter with Jesus. I'm not sure that what I said made sense, but he seemed to understand.

Was the whole of my European Pilgrimage in order for me to experience this moment? I don't think so, because there has been so much else in the entire journey that has deepened our relationship. He took me by surprise in St. Peter's and, whislt He said nothing, nor did He commission me for anything, I sensed His simple reminder that I am in a true, and lasting relationship with Him. How blessed I am. I savoured that time for a good while after departing the building.

The next day saw us at the Colosseum. This time the queue was in shade, and did not take as long as at the Vatican. The Colosseum is an amazing reminder of the engineering ability and skill of the Romans. It also stands in sombre memorium to some horrendous happenings that occurred there in its heyday.

The 'Roman Holiday' took us further that Rome. A couple of days in Florence were distinctly cultural in flavour. The city is delightful (I much prefer Florence to Rome). The architecture oozes with Rennaisance charm. Michelangelo's 'David' is superb. Truly, after sighting this, other statues are just that .- "other".

Our dose of culture also included two wonderful concerts, an indoor mainly choral concert by an English public school and an outdoor orchestral concert by an Israeli youth orchestra. Both events were splendid.

And so, Rome and Florence move into the past. Dafydd returned to Wales and I moved on to Assisi where I'm presently in the middle of these closing days of my European Pilgrimage.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the return of the memories...hope you are keeping healthy and enjoying your holiday. Look forward to your return. :)

    ReplyDelete