Saturday 4 June 2011

Hi Bro!

Bueu, Monday 6th June 2011.
(I have wanted to post this update for several days but Internet is sadly restricted in this area, and my iPod wanted to go its way and not mine. However, I´ve finally found a facility, so here goes!)

The walking is finished. It's strange -yet wonderfully acceptable - not to be starting out at crack of dawn,bearing my "load", praying for fine weather and hoping my feet behave themselves.

The day following our arrival in Santiago was a day of mixed emotions. It covered the pilgrim mass at the cathedral - a sort of official completion to the Camino, but with it also the time of farewell to the wonderful friends and companions I've made on the way. This is hard, but life (and pilgrimage) goes on. After the mass, I meet up with my brother and his family, and so enter the next phase of my European Pilgrimage. I have met, walked with, and talked with a lot of wonderful people on the Camino, and a few have been very special. These include Tim from Germany, Herbert from Canada and Simone also from Germany.

But first to the day. I breakfasted with Herbert and later had a coffee with Tim. Simone was still on the road, but arrived in time for us to say "auf wiedersehen". I did a quick spot of shopping before making my way, early, to the cathedral to secure a seat for the mass. Whilst I sat in this beautiful and inspiring building I thought to turn off my mobile. There was a message on it, a lovely message from my beautiful daughter, Louise. I thought I was going to "lose it". I told myself not to break down, not to start crying now of all times. I didn't, fortunately. Instead I enjoyed the sweetest sensations of relationships, and tasted of the wonderful connections and associations God has blessed me with. Here I am, sitting in His house with various new friends around me. I've just experienced a precious communication with Louise, other messages are coming in via text and email from friends who have followed, and participated in, my journey, and in a short time I will meet my brother and his family. How blessed I am. Thank You, Lord.

I sense that I may be reflecting on my Camino experience for quite some time to come but, right now, one word comes clearly into my mind - relationship.

As I desired before the start, I have walked the Camino with Jesus. He has drawn me closer to Him. I pray for this to continue. Along the way He has brought me into relationship with others. I have been reminded of the beautiful and precious relationships I have with family and many friends, both at home and elsewhere. I have been privileged to hear the stories of other pilgrims. Some are searching; all have a need to relate. My relationships are blessed through the relationship I have with Him. I don´t understand why He would bother with me. He tells me not to try to understand, but just to receive.

Meeting with Edward, Kate and Huw was just wonderful. Farewelling Tim, Simone and Herbert was not easy. Cést la vie!

The family have rented a house at Bueu (try pronouncing that correctly!) From web photos we all imagined a delightful, small fishing village. It´s actually larger, but has its own delight. The weather is splendid and we are going to enjoy our days together here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete,
    "Keep Walking"
    Looking forward to photos and a "coffee" when you return.
    :)
    Barb

    ReplyDelete