Sunday 15 May 2011

La Meseta

Berciano de La Camino, Sunday 15th May 2011
(I had wanted to post this yesterday from Sahagun, but the one and only Internet station was closed until Monday)

The Meseta, the vast open plain that stretches across the north of Spain is a land of challenge. In summer, high temperatures see the traveller endure scorching heat in unforgiving open country with absolutely no shade. In winter, the reverse occurs, freezing tempèratures and a bleak and uncompromising landscape.

Some pilgrims choose to take a bus from Burgos to Leon therby avoiding the challenge of walking across this vast plain.For challenge it certainly is! Ahead lie many long stretches with no break, no supplies, no shade or shelter. Speculators say those who brave the meseta will likely experience  a major, and maybe life-changing encounter - with themsleves!! All distractions are removed. There is just the individual, nature and the Almighty.

So what has been my meseta experience? I´m now several days into the meseta with perhaps a couple more days to go. The country has been stunning. The scenery is best described as gently rolling downs. Mostly of lush green plantings, cereal crops that will turn golden in time. Part of the journey lay alongside a 17th cen tury canal, part followed the course of a river. The weather has been gloriously fine - bright blue skies, clean, clear air and a sun hot enough to cause a mild sweat when walking. We are relatively high up. It´s like walking on the top of the world. And the walking has been exhilarating. I say this despite presently battling foot blisters that are doing their utmost to bring me to a standstill.

But what´s going on inside? I´ve been experiencing self encouters for years, some very dramatic and others not so deep or disturbing. I don´t know that there is a great deal to expect in that area.

What I do notice greatly as the journey unfolds, and especially during times when I´m walking, is the realisation of my expectation from the Camino. Before leaving Australia I said, clearly and often, that I expected to walk the Camino with Jesus. This is precisely what is happening. As I travel further, the expectation is more fully met (isn´t this just like our life walk with Him?). I´ve experienced a number of challenges in the last few weeks. None has been too dramatic but each one has undoubtedly been a nuisance,  from the obvious and to be expected sore limbs and aching joints, foot blisters aplenty, the nuisance of a full-blown cold, to the unexpected return of an old enemy - rheumatism. I´ve not suffered from this ailment for almost 40 years ( thanks to a most agreeable Australian climate) yet it´s recently returned with a vengeance. But in all these ¨difficulties¨ I have found the presence of Jesus surely with me - supporting, strengthening and untimately healing. It has been a humbling and greatly enriching experience. Can I say I met Jesus in my suffering? Maybe! There´s a tee shirt available locally which, at this stage of the walk, is the talk of many pilgrims. It shows feet, sore and bandaged, with the slogan NO PAIN, NO GLORY! I might buy one, but not until Santiago when I know I´ve completed this particular Camino.

I believe I´m now about half way there. It´s simply amazing how the time has flown and the adventures have unfolded.

I´ll leave it there for now. I have some more walking to do - with Jesus!

Adios

1 comment:

  1. Half-way! Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of it! Good luck! Love.

    ReplyDelete